4 cups flour (All Purpose, but Bread Flour preferably)
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons yeast
3 tablespoons melted butter
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup water, warm
1/4 cup browning
1 cup candied fruit (mixed peel, raisins)
- 2. Place dough on lightly floured surface. Knead about 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and springy. Grease large bowl with oil. Place dough in bowl, turning dough to grease all sides. Cover bowl loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place 40 to 60 minutes or until dough has doubled in size. Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.
- 3. Grease bottoms and sides of two 8x4-inch or 9x5-inch loaf pans with shortening or spray with cooking spray.
- 4. Gently push fist into dough to deflate. Divide dough in half. Flatten each half with hands or rolling pin into 18x9-inch rectangle on lightly floured surface. Roll dough up tightly, beginning at 9-inch side. Press with thumbs to seal after each turn. Pinch edge of dough into roll to seal. Pinch each end of roll to seal. Fold ends under loaf. Place seam side down in pan. Brush loaves lightly with butter. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place 35 to 50 minutes or until dough has doubled in size.
- 5. Move oven rack to low position so that tops of pans will be in center of oven. Heat oven to 425°F.
- 6. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until loaves are deep golden brown and sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire rack. Brush loaves with Simple Syrup; cool.