Jamaican Saltfish (Codfish) Balls
1/2 lb salt fish
2 cups diced raw potatoes
1tbsp butter 1/2 tsp pepper
2 eggs, beaten
Vegetable oil (for frying)
1. Soak salt fish in water, preferably overnight, then boil for half an hour. Meanwhile, peel and dice potatoes; boil for 20 minutes. When cool, mash coarsely.
2. Drain, rinse fish under cold water and flake, making sure to remove fine bones.
3. Add butter, pepper and shredded fish to potatoes, mix well.
4. Form mixture into light, feathery balls.
5. Dip in beaten egg then breadcrumbs. Fry in deep oil in fryer basket until golden brown.
6. Drain on absorbent paper and serve very hot.