Sky Juice, suck-suck or coolings was the precursor to the Jamaican Bay Juice. I can fondly remember my grandmother making suck-suck in the summer both for us the grandchildren and to be sold to persons in the community.
Traditionally it was a drink made with KoolAid, Quench Aid with sugar and lime juice or Syrup with lime juice. I do not remember the price but they were quite cheap. Vendors at the school gate also sold them with red being the most popular.
Some parents still make them for their children during the summer months when the heat of the sun is bearing down.
To make them you will need:
-Your favorite summertime drink.(The ingredients are usually inexpensive so syrup with lime is good.)
- 1 lb poly bags
- Set the bag in a cup such as a tea cup. Fold the bag over the cup so it does not slide into the cup when drink is poured.
- Pour 1 cup of drink into the bag.
- Tie the bag.
- Place the bag in freezer until frozen solid.
- Serve. Kids usually bite off the pointy tip of the bay to get the juice or you can cut it with a knife or kitchen scissors.
I do not like eating over-ripe bananas. Most often I will peel and freeze them to make banana bread of banana milk shake. This time I decided to try making a Banana Cake. The result was one of awesome deliciousness. I served it to a group of visitors I was catering for and it was a hit. This one is definitely a keeper if you love bananas.
11/2 cups ripe banana, mashed (about 3 medium)
11/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cups buttermilk
11/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup chopped nuts
1. Heat oven to 350*F. Grease and flour 8 or 9 inch pan.
2. Beat all ingredients together in a bowl on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping down sides constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in nuts. Pour into prepared pans.
3. Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool.
Finish with lemon or orange glaze
1/3 cup butter
2 cups icing sugar
1/2 tsp orange or lemon zest
2-3 tablespoon orange or lemon juice
Combine all. Pour over cake.