This is by far the most popular Jamaican Breakfast Porridge. It is sold on the street between 5-9am to passing commuters. There is even a popular Bob Marley song that mentions the cornmeal porridge.
Listen to No Woman No Cry here.
I use cinnamon sugar or the condensed milk to decorate the top.
Yield: 4 servings
1 cup of yellow cornmeal
4 cups of water
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of coconut milk
1 tbsp flour (you can use 2 tbsp oats)
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup of sweetened condensed milk or to taste
Sugar to taste
- Place 3 cups water, cornmeal and salt in a 2 quart pot. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Mix together 1 cup water, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and almond extract together.
- Mix into cornmeal. Cook for about 5 minutes to thicken.
- Stir in the condensed milk and sweeten to taste.
- Serve in a cereal bowl while still hot.