|courtesy Chef Collin Brown|
1/2 lb. Saltfish (codfish)
1 dozen ackees or 1 19oz can Ackee in Brine
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 scotch bonnet pepper, sliced
1 small green or red pepper, sliced
1 tomato, seeded and diced
Coconut or Vegetable oil
1. Soak saltfish in water to remove the salt
2. Clean the ackee. Remove the seeds and all traces of interior red pit from the ackees.
3. Boil ackees in salted water ( you can use water from soaking salt fish) until moderately soft.
4. Drain, cover, and put aside.
5. Flake the saltfish and remove all bones.
6. Sauté onions and sweet pepper, tomato .
7. Add saltfish and the ackees, and increase heat slightly.
8 Add black pepper and salt (if needed)
Serve with boil banana and/or fried dumplings