Jamaican Easter Spice Bun

This spice bun was given to me by the chef at a quaint little hotel in Portland where I worked for a few years. This one was a little different from the usual stout buns that I had made before. After making it I found it to be one of my favorites. I actually entered it in an Easter Bun competition and won first place. It is very moist and has that nice bun flavour without the stout although I sometimes substitute stout for the milk.

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup milk
3 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoons vanilla
1 tsp almond essence
1/4 teaspoon mixed spice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup raisin
1/4 cup currant
1/4 cup mixed peel
2 each egg
1 tablespoons butter -- melted
1/4 cup browning -- optional

Instructions
  1. Heat milk. Add sugar; stir to dissolve. Allow to cool
  2. Sift dry ingredients together.
  3. Beat eggs, mix with milk mixture and butter. 
  4. Add liquid mixture along with fruits, vanilla, almond and browning.
  5. Grease bottoms and sides of two 8x4-inch loaf pans with shortening or spray with cooking spray
  6. Pour into greased loaf tin. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30- 40 minutes, till toothpick inserted comes out clean.
  7. Brush with  Simple Syrup and decorate with cherries.

Yield: 2 loaves
 

No comments:

Post a Comment