Eggless Jamaican Fruitcake

Once I had to make a fruit cake for someone who is vegetarian.This recipe has no eggs. I miss the butter but you can use butter flavoring if you like.


 2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 tbsp mixed peel
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup currants
1 cup milk or wine
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp vinegar
Sift the flour, salt, and spices together. Rub in the shortening and add sugar. Mix in raisin, currants and peel. Add the milk with soda dissolved in it. Add vinegar last. Pour into greased and lined baking tin. Bake at 350F for about 1 hour.

3 comments:

  1. Appreciate the time and energy you put into your blog and the in-depth information you provide. Sometimes it is good to come to such a blog, your information is new, your post does not have the same old stuff. Very nice read here I have bookmarked your site. Real Photos Girl Gurugram
    Gurugram Girl Number
    Cheap price girls gurgaon
    Naughty Girl Gurgaon
    VIP Girl Gurugram
    Cheap Rate Girl Gurgaon
    premium Girl Gurgaon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made this in the oven. I wanted fruitcake with no egg. I tried my best to stick to the recipe without experimenting or tweaking. I used 1 cup butter for the shortening. Brown
    coconut sugar. And about 1/4 cup or a little over of orange marmalade and the zest of 1 lemon for the 'mixed peels.' I used wine instead of milk. I creamed the butter and sugar, added about 2 tablespoon of date syrup as I had no molasses then sifted the dry ingredients in. I was surprised you didn't add browning but I would not want to add it anyways. The cake looked a little light going in but as l peeked on it with the oven light, it looks fine and is rising nicely. Will update on the results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Came out nice. Loved the texture and flavor. I used around a tablespoon of almond extract, perhaps too much, But I still missed the vanilla. Going to make it this time around with vanilla and maybe coconut/almond milk rum mix and see if it makes a difference. Also noticed that the cake didn't remain moist but was starting to dry out on day two. The flavor also improved with time. Thank you for sharing this simple uncomplicated recipe.

      Delete